NAEC and Foreign Affairs Ministry Meet to Strategize
NAEC and it’s officials led by the Chairman/CEO, Prof Yusuf A. Ahmed on Tuesday, 30th January,2024 held discussions on wide range of issues concerning the Commission with the Hon.Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Yusuf Tuggar(OON).
Some of the issues presented to the Hon. Minister for discussion by the Chairman included:
1. Signing of the Inter-governmental Agreement(IGA) and MoU on nuclear programme with China
2. Fall out from the Africa- Russia Summit attended by the Vice President,Kashim Shettima and the planned visit later in the year by ROSATOM to Nigeria.
3. Payment of assessed contributions to the IAEA,AFRA and CTBTO.
4. Visa challenges faced by Nigerians attending programs outside the country as well as their movements within the ECOWAS sub- region.
5. Signing and ratification of relevant conventions, treaties and agreements.
In his response, Ambassador Tuggar, assured the Chairman that his office will expedite actions on the issues presented as according to him nuclear energy has become a trending topic globally.
He said,”the fear of atomic energy is unwarranted as it is comparatively save. We need to diversify our energy mix as much as possible to include nuclear”. Further more, he said “nuclear technology has become a tool for research and development hence the need for it to be domesticated”
The two parties agreed that a Desk officer will be appointed by the Ministry solely to attend to matters relating to the Commission
At the end of the meeting,the Minister extended an invitation to the Chairman to be part of his upcoming visit to the Russian Federation later in the year.
Other NAEC staff present at the meeting include,Engr. Awwal Bisalla,Head, International Cooperation and Liaison and Barrister Ogechi Nwakanma,Head, Legal Dept. NAEC.